firefight one life teamwork tactical gameplay

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Argyll

Argyll

Canadian

• Developer
  • 337 posts

When Jeremy told me about the new co-op mode Checkpoint, I instantly knew that gameplay of respawning your team ONLY when an objective is secure was suited for some fun and intense multiplayer. Firefight was ripe for some innovation.

On Friday the first iteration of Firefight was released. We've had two more updates to it and it's still not complete. However, at this point it is definitely worth playing.

I just had my longest continuous session of playing Insurgency since we've started this game (mod excepted). Normally I get exhausted after about an hour and a half of continuous combat in Occupy. Not today. Three hours straight of Firefight and I had to tear myself away in order to write this and get some much needed sleep for a long commute tomorrow (when I will be daydreaming about how to design the other game modes).

There is a demand for the one-life style gameplay. However, our Elimination implementation has been struggling to find the right balance. It started as a capture the object and bring it to the enemy's base. Then it went to just a single area objective to secure. Now it's just kill everyone. All along though, it was one life. There was no real purpose to the objective.

Firefight now starts with one life. Three objectives. One neutral in the middle. Your team only spawns when an objective is secured.

Those are the simple game rules that has created a wide variety of experiences. It works in smaller maps like Siege, Ministry, and larger maps like District.

With the right team, it can be over in just a minute. With two skilled teams, it can last up to ten minutes as each secure an objective and gain that instant reinforcement.

The most intense moment I have had in Insurgency - this game or the mod - has come tonight as the last man alive on Security in District. Insurgents had A and B. I ran to C... I secured it, then I died a hero. That wave of reinforcement came back and won the round. It was epic. You're so close to losing, but it's NOT over if you can put your balls on the line for your team. That should become an achievement - last man secures to call in reinforcements that win the round. It's the ultimate comeback.

You MUST try Firefight with Realism... and you will discover one of the most tactical experiences of your gaming lives - especially with the right players.

One change I am considering is earning a backup reinforcement wave if your team secures an objective while all your teammates are still alive. That way, securing it will not go unrewarded and your team will come back when you need it most.

Now, I'm learning what the best elements of this game mode are and implementing them into Battle and Push. Firefight can be quick rounds and that one-life dynamic combined with team dependence on objectives is really what brings out the intensity. We need to inject that intensity into the more prolonged gameplay, because that remains very popular and is part of Insurgency's DNA. There is a lot of potential to maintain a reinforcement system that ties into the objectives - instead of having unlimited respawns at regular intervals.

Arguably, now that we have a unique game mode for Insurgency that brings out its tactical side - I would advocate for the temporary removal of Occupy. Maybe it can come back once we move to Beta or Full Release because it's a familiar game mode for new players. But really, it undercuts the value of Insurgency being a unique gaming experience. We need to separate ourselves from the mainstream and this is exactly the way to do it.

Looking forward to playing some Firefight on the servers with you all soon!

• Snuffeldjuret, ZenPhire, eXnihilo and 6 others like this

"The clever combatant looks to the effect of combined energy, and does not require too much from individuals." - Sun Tzu

FlyingDry

FlyingDry

Operative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

I actually was going to suggest the removal of occupy when I was playing with you last night but I thought it may offend. Occupy really doesn't bring anything new or exciting to the table, and I find it not very fun. Firefight is a BLAST. Keep up the good work! 

• Argyll and Fisherman like this

zandor

zandor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

nice :wub:

i remember those days playing the mod, when reinforcements were getting depleted

that feeling of 'omg, this is my last life, what will we do?'

when the last reinforcement wave comes and then we capture an objective (specially in sinjar) and keep fighting

thats what i'm talking about :D

• Argyll likes this

Jihad

Jihad

Why won't you tell us how to use theaters?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Firefight was a hell of a lot of fun today. Hopefully the swapping of sides after 3 or 4 rounds makes into an update soon. Not sure why but the rounds seemed to last a little longer today too. What did you do?

• Argyll likes this

johnwayneb.jpg

Hardcell

Hardcell

Custom Mapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

I like the idea of this new game mode but can we just name it something else and keep fire fight like classic ins1 and then get rid of occupy.  I think maybe having more then one initial life is still fun. i liked having reinforcements in ins1.  but whole reason i like insurgency to begin with was that it wasn't counter strike and didn't have to wait around for everyone to die, also this game mode could just replace elimination since its basically team deathmatch now and there is nothing tactical about tdm. 

• Argyll likes this

x10e.jpg

JBlum

JBlum

NWI Founder & Game Director

• Developer
  • 544 posts

Yea I must say, I've been very pleased with the gameplay that results from this. It's much more objective oriented than any of the other modes, and it is very competitive. Also, you are never completely down and out - on the contrary you are rooting for your teammates to capture a point. And if you are one of the few people that remain, there is a very rewarding motivation to revive your team. I do agree, it's hard to go back to Occupy after playing this.

• eXnihilo likes this

Jeremy Blum

New World Interactive

-Coulum-

-Coulum-

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Just got back from playing new firefight and I have to say I like it quite alot. I still think it needs some polishing, especially when concerning objective size, capture rate and indicators. Also there needs to be some kind of reward for teams that capture without many casualties - right now it is as if there is no real motivation to capture until half your team is down. But otherwise it is loads of fun and many times better than occupy. Would have played all night if el_cuco hadn't shut us down! :angry:

Keep up the good work devs! Love the clear communications with the community as well! 

• Argyll likes this

2jzo

2jzo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

I made ZenPhire rage quit last night :D

• Argyll and kamk like this

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

ZenPhire

ZenPhire

Developer

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Who are you? lol =)
But I like being the reference people use to convey they are pwning someone good. =D

Edited by ZenPhire, 29 May 2013 - 11:01 AM.

Argyll

Argyll

Canadian

• Developer
  • 337 posts

Just got back from playing new firefight and I have to say I like it quite alot. I still think it needs some polishing, especially when concerning objective size, capture rate and indicators. Also there needs to be some kind of reward for teams that capture without many casualties - right now it is as if there is no real motivation to capture until half your team is down. But otherwise it is loads of fun and many times better than occupy.

True, especially now that we have a firm direction for Firefight, our level designers can modify the objective areas so they are optimized to this gameplay.

Hardcell, this mode is meant to be without the extra reinforcements. Even with one extra free reinforcement for the team without trying with throw off the dynamic. Don't worry though, the other modes will have reinforcement. Like you said, Elimination doesn't have much of a role as team deathmatch, so Firefight now fills that gap.

Jihad, I think the rounds felt longer for two reasons. First, they typically are longer on a larger map like District. Second, people started to learn that they needed to value their life and didn't rush every corner. They were more cautious and worked with their team. The level of teamwork and communication I experienced just before finished last night was an all time personal high for this game.

Zandor, that's exactly how I feel! Those moments in the mod were few and far between. Unfortunately any unlimited reinforcement took away that dynamic and it became all about shooting and not necessarily about surviving. I'm really glad we found that feeling again that happens quickly and easily. Like I said, now my challenge is to find that in the other game modes while still having the prolonged gameplay.

Thanks all for your feedback!
  • Hardcell and eXnihilo like this

"The clever combatant looks to the effect of combined energy, and does not require too much from individuals." - Sun Tzu

eXnihilo

eXnihilo

Developer

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Go Johno! He is a worthy foe, fun to dominate :D

It's so exciting to be around for this turn in the game's development.  This is where history is made.

Keep communicating people and I'm really looking forward to some firefight tonight and this weekend!!!

• Argyll likes this

Argyll

Argyll

Canadian

• Developer
  • 337 posts

http://youtu.be/1fS0_annCIk?t=4m20s

This video is a little out of date for the game mode (in the iteration shown, all objectives start neutral - now only the middle obj is neutral), but Merrell recognizes the potential of what Firefight is all about and how it should tie into the broader role of the game's "hardcore" focus.

• zandor and eXnihilo like this

Xorr

Xorr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

... Elimination ... started as a capture the object and bring it to the enemy's base...

This Mod: www.moddb.com/mods/casus-belli is having a "capture the object" game-mode, based on spawn-tickets. Both teams are starting with a certain number of spawn-tickets and the game ends as soon as a team reaches zero. From the moment a team grabs the object, the other team looses tickets. At reaching the enemy-base, the enemy team looses a big number of tickets. If the player with the object is camping the decrease of tickets stops. The player with the object is marked in the HUD. That forces the team with the player who is carrying the object to protect him and to make steady progress toward the enemy base. After scoring at the base, the object respawns in the map-center. Is the object carrier killed, the object drops down and everybody can pick it up.
That worked very well and that game-mode was very popular...
  • ZenPhire likes this

eXnihilo

eXnihilo

Developer

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Oh man... firefight is awesome...

Great work guys!

GenaSG

GenaSG

Operative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

My 2 cents regarding Occupy.
From my point of view it can be easily tuned with wave re-spawn system, reinforcements limit, every new wave decreases pull of reinforcements by 1(no matter how many people respawned), every objective captured gives one additional reinforcement. Starting round with no captured objectives and  3 reinforcements available.

One more thing it would be nice to have a "spawn with next reinforcement" button. So spawn of one guy wouldn't deplete reinforcement for whole team)))). In good teams guys will intentionally  miss respawn wave in order to save one point for whole team. 

• eXnihilo likes this

Insurgency is awesome!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firefight, one life, teamwork, tactical, gameplay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users