Hot Fix October 26, 2013

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

JBlum

JBlum

NWI Founder & Game Director

• Developer
  • 565 posts

In preparation for our Twitch event today, we have put out a hot fix addressing some of the major concerns that have come up since introducing C4 and our new HUD. Here's the changelist:

• C4 and frag grenades can now be detonated by bullets or explosions.
  • Made team label colors on the scoreboard neutral so the red and blue no longer has anything to do with the team, just simply "hostile" vs. "enemy" player or objective.
  • Floating objective icons are now slightly smaller and their display behavior is reversed so you see them more if you are not looking at them.
  • Moved timer and active objective display to the bottom so everything is centralized on the bottom of the screen, you never have to look up anymore.
  • Fixed VIP on Contact.
  • Temporarily removed auto team switch after each round in Strike and Push until we work out a better solution that allows multiple rounds to be played before the teams are swapped.
  • May have fixed the bug that spawns people with their camera tilted if they were spectating a player who was leaning before spawning (needs testing).

• Jihad likes this

Jeremy Blum

New World Interactive

ryukolink

ryukolink

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

the hud going to the bottom really fucks with me physically.. my eyes can't handle focusing on that ********* while the ground is moving as well as my gun, it makes me dizzy for some reason...I'm sure it has to do with the textures moving and being right in my face while im trying to focus on the timer or cap points

I had this same problem with certain textures in tribes ascend while I was moving at fast speeds (capping) and the textures were right in my face,

I think making the background for the timer and objective markers opaque might help with this issue.. I've now stopped looking at objective markers and just play TDM... I'm probably just going to end up removing them altogether if things don't change or else I won't be able to play the game without my eyes trippin up.

it's been brought to my attentions so I digress, you guys have done a lot right in the past few months. Definitely more stuff right then stuff wrong.

It appears that "hit registration" has improved so it looks like whatever back end issues you are messing with are working, it still does not feel as crisp as it did when the huge detail patch came (the one that changed market and district) but it's getting there. That patch really made me feel great about knocking people down.

Team switch NEEDS to come with load out switches.

We need preset load outs so that by hitting a number on the keypad we can quickly cycle through load outs without having to sell *********.

We need a sell all key (props to whoever mentioned this on the forums, kamk? skcire?)

I'd like to see the scoreboard tweaked, as in -making the living player TEXT brighter... way brighter, another way to improve this is by making the scoreboard a little more opaque to enhance it.

www.twitch.tv/ryukolink

"tao of tribe already known to u. challenge of understand tao of tribe is not 2 learn new truth, it is 2 forget old falsehood." © TAO

JBlum

JBlum

• Developer
  • 565 posts
A bunch of the UI suggestions you mentioned (background on the objective markers and names on scoreboard) have been addressed in this patch.

Jeremy Blum

New World Interactive

kamk

kamk

sup?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Well Link, i have to completely disagree with your negative comment on the HUD decisions.

For me it's way more clean, and less distracting. Also the HUD uses space now that has been blocked by your virtual gun / hands anyways, providing way more vision on the new found beauty of maps and effects. I really hope they keep this direction.

The hit detection was never off, it was more an issue of the server you played on.

The "sell all button" would be still nice to have... at least the auto team switch is gone. Re-creating a favorite loadout every 2 minutes was just ridicilous.

Also the team switch is not the best idea in general. Some people want to play a specific team / gun.

- Rent this space! -  

ryukolink

ryukolink

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Well Link, i have to completely disagree with your negative comment on the HUD decisions.

For me it's way more clean, and less distracting. Also the HUD uses space now that has been blocked by your virtual gun / hands anyways, providing way more vision on the new found beauty of maps and effects. I really hope they keep this direction.

The hit detection was never off, it was more an issue of the server you played on.

The "sell all button" would be still nice to have... at least the auto team switch is gone. Re-creating a favorite loadout every 2 minutes was just ridicilous.

Also the team switch is not the best idea in general. Some people want to play a specific team / gun.

the "hit reg" was never  off? what the *********? Are you fucking out of your fucking mind... holy ********* lol

jesus...

someone get me my nitro tablets I'm having chest pain

did you read what I said about my dizzyness issue? Too many moving parts makes my eyes trip up. What resolution do you play on? I play on a medium res and I never found it too be blocking my view? Do you look at the ground when you run or something so that the icons on top block where normal people look when they run?

www.twitch.tv/ryukolink

"tao of tribe already known to u. challenge of understand tao of tribe is not 2 learn new truth, it is 2 forget old falsehood." © TAO

kamk

kamk

sup?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

How can the hit registration be off in between patches when they haven't changed anything?

Isn't it more likely the server you played on (in between) was rather... crappy? I noticed hit fails way more often on bad server, that run unsmooth, and especially without any forced rates at a low tickrate - never on "good" servers.

I'm sorry to hear about your "dizzyness issue", and i hope you get used to this slight change. 

As far as the forum community goes, most people here wanted a more realistic approach for this game, having a less obstructive HUD increases the immersion a lot. You're not supposed to look at your HUD all the time, you're supposed to get immersed into a virtual firefight. Personally i only notice a slight blinking when an objective is under attack, other than that i can completely ignore this part, or look at it on demand - isn't that actually better?

Well, just my opinion. I would prefer the new design any time. The few infos you get are all at the bottom, well aligned with the net_graph too.

• dogs::mr.pink likes this

- Rent this space! -  

2jzo

2jzo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
If realism is the absolute approach then any objective markers should be removed. Just put where the objective is at on the tactical map and squad kit map. Capturing can be identified by a flag pole with the respective sides flag going up. Sort of like battlefield minus the radar and 3D map. Less is more in this case in my opinion. Also notified by a radio voice over saying an objective is being taken but not say which one(s).

The game right now is too fast paced to be realistic. Probably not the intentions but because of the players this is what this game is currently. Sprint, kill as many people as you can, die, respawn.
  • ryukolink likes this

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

ryukolink

ryukolink

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

How can the hit registration be off in between patches when they haven't changed anything?

Isn't it more likely the server you played on (in between) was rather... crappy? I noticed hit fails way more often on bad server, that run unsmooth, and especially without any forced rates at a low tickrate - never on "good" servers.

I'm sorry to hear about your "dizzyness issue", and i hope you get used to this slight change. 

As far as the forum community goes, most people here wanted a more realistic approach for this game, having a less obstructive HUD increases the immersion a lot. You're not supposed to look at your HUD all the time, you're supposed to get immersed into a virtual firefight. Personally i only notice a slight blinking when an objective is under attack, other than that i can completely ignore this part, or look at it on demand - isn't that actually better?

Well, just my opinion. I would prefer the new design any time. The few infos you get are all at the bottom, well aligned with the net_graph too.

Im sitting in my chair at my desk, I will never be that much of an escapist. And they are changing MANY things in every patch kamk... things that may just cause servers to wig out for some reason and then cause these "hit reg" issues. Ive played in the same servers some times after patches and "hit reg" was off... we're getting off on a tangent here and i dont think we should discuss this further here.

If I wanted to be fully immersed I'd get rid of the HUD completely and go capture objectives like in Hostile Intent.

like johno said... even simpler would be in realism mode the HUD is removed and an icon pops up at the bottom of your screen when you are in a capture zone so it tells you that you are capping (this would be an easier fix then adding the flag like johno mentioned)

this would also force people to communicate and camp objectives more to defend them, in skirmish no one defends objective points everyone just attacks.

www.twitch.tv/ryukolink

kamk

kamk

sup?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Which kind of server did / do they run? Maybe some sort of VPS system? Small sidenote: i noticed a regular (very high) CPU peak in a patch a while ago - something like this can easily bring a server (especially older ones, or VPS etc) from "mediocre and playable" to "something is wrong". But as i said before: on servers that run well i've never noticed a hit reg issue, though i've noticed i miss a lot more when switching between US / EU servers.

The HUD idea isn't too bad for realism.

About the skirmish matches: well... some matches are plain TDM, others are a plain camp fest. 

I remember a game where i was raging a bit that nobody defended a single objective, and then i realized i was just rambo'ing around myself, so who am i to judge  ;)

- Rent this space! -  

JBlum

JBlum

• Developer
  • 565 posts

The game right now is too fast paced to be realistic. Probably not the intentions but because of the players this is what this game is currently. Sprint, kill as many people as you can, die, respawn.

You say that, but in my experience these players usually die and the more tactful players prevail.

And they are changing MANY things in every patch

This is early access, things are gonna change.

To us, the new HUD is part of a transition towards freeing up the screen and isolating as much of the information into the bottom of the screen where your weapon is anyway so it's not blocking the environment. Other games do this too. It frees up the rest of the screen to be very atmospheric, solely dedicated to rendering the world around you. If you don't want the floating icons, you can hide them.

We are building this game around our community's input, but we are also going to stay true to the game WE want to make. Getting emotional about some HUD changes and not logically explaining to us why it should not be this way is not going to persuade us.
  • ZenPhire likes this

Jeremy Blum

New World Interactive

2jzo

2jzo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
I understand but the ratio of people who play tactically versus those who charge forward and kill as many as possible before dying is contributed to the fact that they'll respawn at any given moment. That's why I enjoy vip and snd. I see more people taking it slow and playing with teamwork.

As for the hud. Thank you for making minor changes to help improve it. I haven't had a chance to play it but has the kill messages been moved back to the top?

Also thank you for removing team swap for the time being. Great idea but did not work out as we hoped it would. And the neutral color on the board. At least it's a little more in the direction a lot want but still keeping true to your own views.

I'll try to gather up my guys to participate tomorrow. Most of us stream when we play so if any of us are playing than more likely than not there will be a channel to watch other than argylls laggy stream xD

Cheers.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

Jihad

Jihad

Why won't you tell us how to use theaters?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Nice fixes Jeremy thanks. Dunno if the engine is able to tell the difference with the "mp_friendlyfire_explosives" convar Steve mentioned but if possible only other high explosives such as frag grenades, RPG round or C4 should detonate each other. C4 will easily burn (it gives off highly toxic fumes but it burns very easily) but to initiate detonation you need a high speed shock generated by another high explosive such as a blasting cap, detcord, PETN or something else containing RDX. Military grade explosives due to their nature must be very stable unless specific conditions are met to set it off. While most people would recognize ATK as the company that runs the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant they're also the number one producer of RDX in the Western Hemisphere and I can't seem to recall a single accident while working there with RDX having an accidental initiation. A few people were accidentally shot by .50 cal rounds being linked but that's another story.

• ZenPhire likes this

johnwayneb.jpg

Spiritreader

Spiritreader

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Nice fixes, the new HUD is a bit unusual but I think people will get used to it over time.

I still have problems with a lot of caputre points on several maps. Is there any way to fix this?

skcire09

skcire09

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

I still think a customizable HUD is the way to go...

Jihad

Jihad

Why won't you tell us how to use theaters?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Suggestions Jeremy. After playing Checkpoint on NWI Coop server something to let people know you have to destroy the cache would be nice. I was playing on Siege and standing on A like a dumbass for 3 minutes wondering why my team was not spawning before I realized I had to destroy the cache. Other thing I noticed is resupply points need to be marked on the tactical map. After destroying A I ran back to spawn, the cache at A and the old resupply point at top of stairs without being able to find it. It's hard when you are the last man alive to destroy the objective if you cannot resupply to get more grenades or C4.

• ZenPhire and EspritFragger like this

johnwayneb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users