• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Kryptoz

Kryptoz

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Héllo members of the insurgency community.

Do you want to create custom content? Do you want it to work properly? 
Did you create something already but you do not know how to create the Valve Pack File for it?

Well, read this simple guide on how to create VPK files and your problems will be solved!

|:::... Table of content

• What is a VPK file (How to open them, use them)
  • How to create one
  • How to use one

(TIP: CTRL+F, typ in the corresponding number, skip endless reading)

|:::... 1. What is a VPK file

VPK ("Valve Pak") files are uncompressed archives used to package game content

They have a big advantage in loading times. And are much more secure instead of the normal ones.
They are necessary to create custom content for Insurgency2. 

Downloaded VPK's or Custom made VPK's should be placed in the insurgency2/insurgency/custom
folder. If you do not have the custom folder, create one.

333bz4m.png
Example of a VPK file. Located in the Common/Insurgency2/insurgency Folder

Yes, you can't open them this way. You need an exploring program! I suggest GCFScape!
You will also need GCFScape to extract the needed files you want to mod. 

Download GCFScape made by Nemesis: http://nemesis.thewa.../index.php?p=26

Ok, after you installed the program you can open the Valve Pack Files and you can look inside them!
You need to open the Dir ones inside the Insurgency folder using GCFScape.

33nyd0p.png
A look with the GCFScape and its interface.

After you managed to open the dir.vpk using GCFScape it is time to Extract the wanted files.
Right mouseclick onto the needed file and select Extract and choose a directory to it to be placed in.

At the beginning it will be tricky to find the right files but after a while you will find them. 

A few paths so you can find your way:
Extract for Skins: insurgency_materials_dir.vpk: Materials/models/player or weapons
Extract for Sounds: insurgency_sound_dir.vpk: sound/Everything inside

6ymwc8.png
Extracting the wanted files using GCFScape

You got the files and already edited them? Let's start creating the Valve Pack File!

|:::... 2. How to create one

It is really simple, everybody can understand this part. So why not you? Let's start!

Let's say we created a weaponskin and we want to use it ingame. It has to be a VPK file.
 Create a map called whatever you want. As an example we will use 'TutorialVPKskin'
ruz0gm.png

We want to create a skin so we will need to follow the same folder system as the insurgency_materials_dir.
Inside the TutorialVPKSkin create a map called 'materials' inside the materials map you will have to create the folder called 'models' and inside the models folder you will have to create a 'weapons' folder. Let's say we want to create a skin for the AK47 we have to create a folder called 'ak47' inside the weapons folder.

Your path now should look like this
2dl3kgh.png

Put all the needed files in the ak47 folder.

Now comes the most easy part of this whole VPK system thing.
Inside the BIN folder (insurgency2/bin) there is a exe called vpk.exe

You need to drag the Created folder onto the VPK.exe and wait for a few seconds.
A VPK file is made now.
2hd3crl.png

Results in:

2cngrxd.png

Now it is time to use this file and test it!

|:::... 3. How to use one

Why is this so easy? I don't know.. It just is!

You got the Valve Pack File, now it is time to test it. I already suggested you to create the 'custom' folder inside insurgency just like this.

2rghxyg.png

Put the Valve Pack File inside it and you are done.
Start up Insurgency and test out your new fresh self-made or downloaded skin!

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, leave them in a comment below!

• JBlum, eXnihilo, Wibber and 5 others like this

orpd11.png

b0rk3d.gb

b0rk3d.gb

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Great guide. Thanks.

:)

• Kryptoz likes this

76561198049491898.png

Kryptoz

Kryptoz

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Great guide. Thanks.

:)

Glad you like it !

orpd11.png

Sgt. Nunu Albatross

Sgt. Nunu Albatross

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You just helped me out immensely. Thank you so much!  :)

• Kryptoz likes this

Armaggedon97

Armaggedon97

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Great job mate! This is a really helpful guide.

• Kryptoz likes this

Alestorm-logo.png

limesimme

limesimme

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Very nice and easy to understand, sticky, mods? ^_^

• Kryptoz likes this

76561197989746226.png

unitedinsurgencyplayers.png

eXnihilo

eXnihilo

Developer

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

It's already stickied  :P

Edited by eXnihilo, 08 February 2014 - 07:53 PM.

• Kryptoz likes this

topher5g

topher5g

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

i have made a theater file into a vpk with the correct pathing, placed it into a custom folder on my server, but i cant seem to figure out how to activate it, help please? 

Kryptoz

Kryptoz

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I have to find out about theaters. Maybe you can take a look at the Theater thread also categorized under modding.

orpd11.png

Mugen

Mugen

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

thanks

• Kryptoz likes this

76561198004802582.png

Winston_

Winston_

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Could someone help me? I've tried to make a world model for the Mk18, and when I put in the VPK, the game still uses the normal Mk18 model, here's the VPK, and the SMDs.

Edit: I forgot to turn the SMDs into MDLs...

How do I compile? I'm quite confused. Could someone please help or is there a tutorial or something?

Kryptoz

Kryptoz

Commando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Could someone help me? I've tried to make a world model for the Mk18, and when I put in the VPK, the game still uses the normal Mk18 model, here's the VPK, and the SMDs.

Edit: I forgot to turn the SMDs into MDLs...

How do I compile? I'm quite confused. Could someone please help or is there a tutorial or something?

Since Insurgency works in the source engine , maybe could this help you out! I'm not sure, I hope so

https://developer.va...mpiling_a_model

orpd11.png

Winston_

Winston_

Grunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Since Insurgency works in the source engine , maybe could this help you out! I'm not sure, I hope so

https://developer.va...mpiling_a_model

Thanks for the help but I'm still lost, I'll try posting a thread about it.

• Kryptoz likes this

Jihad

Jihad

Why won't you tell us how to use theaters?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Without a doubt the worst thing to happen to this game was packing everything into vpk's and making it almost impossible to tell what is still needed and what isn't. My game still loads in the same 7 to 10 seconds it took to load a map before it went to them as it does now. Seems pointless besides to try and make it impossible to mod so that casual scrubs don't end up on a server modded for asymmetric competition and never play the game again, or worse yet tell their friends to not play because they're too stupid to read the server tags when looking at the server browser.

johnwayneb.jpg

SteveUK

SteveUK

Programmer

• Developer
  • 449 posts

Without a doubt the worst thing to happen to this game was packing everything into vpk's and making it almost impossible to tell what is still needed and what isn't. My game still loads in the same 7 to 10 seconds it took to load a map before it went to them as it does now. Seems pointless besides to try and make it impossible to mod so that casual scrubs don't end up on a server modded for asymmetric competition and never play the game again, or worse yet tell their friends to not play because they're too stupid to read the server tags when looking at the server browser.

This doesn't change anything. VPKs have made noticeable load performance improvements for people because asking the OS if a file is there takes time, while VPKs are an indexed file format and don't have these overheads. There is literally no difference in terms of modding between flat files and opening each of the *_dir.vpk files in GCFScape. Placing stuff in "custom" is exactly the same way as every other Source game after the Steampipe update.

A "casual scrub" probably won't even use the server browser (as I've had many people complain) and opt for matchmaking instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users